Friday 12 July 2013

The Main Event


This morning I was doing a little reading.  In fact, it is my favorite way to start the day.  Before my eyes even open I am grateful for the roof over my head, my comfy bed and another day ahead.  I then like to read a book that will inspire and influence me.  Some days I am able to read longer than others. Some days I am lucky to get a page or even a quote read.  But either way it is how I like to start my day.

Now back to my reading.  In John C. Maxwell's "The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth" he has a section called the Law of Design.  This chapter talks about the importance of designing a growth plan that will allow you to be consistently extraordinary.  And in order to do so....the plan must be simple.  As you read on you find that simple does not equate to easy.  

Life is not a dress rehearsal.  We all know this.  YOLO - You only life once is a commonly used term these days.  And yet...the majority of us position ourselves to be reactive rather than proactive.  Sure, sure some of us may plan out retirement funds.  But seldom do we plan much further than that.  I am going to work at this job or many until I get to a certain age and then I can quit working and do something that I like.  We spend more time planning holiday time and dinner party menus than we actually spend planning our growth.  It is a wonder we end up doing anything at all with our lives.  

I am not painting all of you with the same brush so don't get your feathers ruffled.  I am merely sharing what I got from the book.  This has shown me that I have a lot more growth opportunities than I even imagined.  And I know why people do not plan things out in greater detail.  It is A LOT of work.  Come on....have you even planned a turkey dinner for 25+ people?  The mere thought of it is exhausting.  And now I am considering planning my personal growth?  Gah!  I'm tired already and I haven't even started yet.  LOL.  But in reality, we only get one time around.  And if you want to get the most from it...you need to put the effort in.

John talks about how his favorite time of year is just after dinner on Christmas day until New Years Day.  He spends this time reviewing his calendar for the entire previous year.  He examines in great detail how he spent every hour.  And then he makes adjusts wherever necessary for his plan for the upcoming year. Wow!  What a great idea.  Now I wish it was December so that I could try that.

My biggest takeaway from the reading this morning was...Ask yourself every morning...What is the main event for today?  Plan your day around that. What steps do you need to take throughout the day to ensure that your energy and focus goes into making the main event a success?  Understand what those steps are going to be and take those steps.

What is your main event for today?  Mine is taking my little girl camping for her very first time. Now if you will excuse me there are some things I must to to make this day a success.  

Much Love,

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post Lisa! I have heard that most people spend more time planning their vacation then their future. Another book that I really enjoyed that helped me with planning is The Present by Spencer Johnson, a short easy read but very good. Have fun camping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SheriM I am going to add that book to my reading list. :)
    Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete