Sunday 7 July 2013

Growth is Intentional


A couple of months ago I read the book "The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth' by John C. Maxwell. In the book it speaks that growth doesn't just happen - it is intentional.  I am not certain why this seemed like such a profound statement.  Ever since then I have been constantly checking in with myself and seeing if I am setting myself up for growth.

Now when I am talking about growth I mean all kinds.

Physical growth - am I doing the work to become fitter, faster, stronger and more flexible?  Well the answer to that is not a pretty one these days.  I am growing...but it is my waistline.  I am not putting the work in to see the results that I want.  I play football but outside of that I am not doing much else.  My food choices are incongruent with my growth goals.  Now that may be painful to announce to the world but once you are aware of an issue you are able to change it.

Mental growth - Am I learning new things?  Am I reading about things that will bring me closer to my goals and challenge me?  Or am I reading things so that I can disengage my brain?  Same goes for what I am watching on television.  Am I trying to grow or trying to escape?  Am I doing things each day to move me closer to dreams.  Am I thinking the type of thoughts that will set me up for success?  For me I try to guard my thoughts.  I rarely watch the news, scary movies, or read anything that doesn't come from the non-fiction section of the library.  I am enrolled in a course or several.  It is the area of my life where I give it the most focus.

Spiritual growth - This area is always different for everyone.  We all have our own very personal beliefs surrounding spirituality and faith.  When it comes to my spiritual growth I always try to check in and see, am I in touch with something larger than myself?  Do I serve others? Do I spend time in silence?  Do I listen for the wisdom that comes from being in touch with this energy?  Do I carve out time to be consistent with this each day?  The answer to this is that I am not perfect at this.  It ebbs and flows.  Sometimes I am seriously dedicated.  And other times my spiritual focus is taken for granted.  Have you ever had this happen? Or do you remain diligent?

Growth requires our attention and planning.  John C. Maxwell speaks of a growth plan.  Where you  apply the Law of Intentionality to your life.  Where you stop experiencing accidental growth and start intentionally growing yourself.  Which do you think will move you closer to achieving your goals/dreams and living your life's purpose?  Bruce Springsteen said "A time comes when you need to stop waiting for the man you want to become and start being the man you want to be."

Do you have a growth plan?  Do you grow intentionally? Or accidentally?  If you are needing some assistance with developing a growth plan please feel free to visit my webpage and contact me there.  www.DreamItAchieveIt.ca
For those of you who are already intentionally growing - Keep up the great work.  Intentional growth vs accidental growth is the difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.

I wish you a day just as beautiful as you are.

Much Love,
Lisa

Lead Life Joyfully

5 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you are saying about this #31DBC growing you. I messaged Lesa Townsend and told her this challenge was a life changer. I am so grateful that I signed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this approach to growth in all areas of life. I'm in a time of choosing intentionally and writing about it on my blog too. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three Cheers for Great Minds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful approach - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE Maxwell! Thanks for sharing this. (Found you on #31db!) www.julienneink.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete