Friday 14 June 2013

Happiness Is An Inside Job

"Happiness comes from inside influences. Stop looking to someone else to make you happy. That is your job." - Lisa Friedt

Recently some of my friends have been struggling with happiness. We have all been there. Some days or moments are more of a struggle than others.  It is so important to realize that happiness is a choice.  And that choice is a personal one. 

In my "job" I have the privilege of hearing many details of peoples lives.  I am invited in to their innermost feelings and experiences.  One person showed me a text message from an old boyfriend.  The person kept telling her that tried so hard to make her happy.  And that he didn't know what else he could possibly do to make her happy.  I just wanted to grab her phone and call him and say...here is where you are going astray...
You can't make someone else happy.  It doesn't matter if you cater to their every whim. Buy them diamonds, do handstands or take out the garbage.  They may prefer rubies to diamonds.  Handstands may block their view of the television.  And the garbage...well I am happy whenever someone takes out my trash but that is besides the point.  Happiness is something that comes from within.  What you think and how you act determines your happiness level.  We all want our loved ones to be happy but we can't force that on them.  Trust me, I know that the only thing that would make my night owl husband happy in the morning is if it didn't start until one in the afternoon.  What we can do is be happy ourselves and hope that the energy and enthusiasm rubs off on them.  Happiness can be contagious.  

If you are one of those people who try hard to make others happy, relax.  Know that it isn't your job.  It isn't your responsibility.  Erase it from your to do list.  Find it in yourself to be happy.  Look for the joy in all that surrounds you.  Look for the beauty that is around you and within you.  

Happiness is a choice.  Choose to be happy, giddy, joyful.  

Lead Life Joyfully.

Much Love,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment