Friday 26 July 2013

Gone But Not Forgotten

But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength
They shall mount up with wings like Eagles
They shall run and not be weary
They shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31

This passage always will bring me back to a day in history.  First I will remember July 26, 1993.  When I typed that just now I thought I must have typed the dates wrong.  Because it feels like just yesterday and yet clearly it was 20 years ago.  Memories flood in so quickly my eyes immediately well with tears.  A weight seems to land on my chest and my heart reminds me that a piece of it is missing.

20 years ago today my friend, my best friend, Jon Groothuysen passed away.  All too young.  He was riding his dirt bike with his brother.  They were racing home to tell their Mom goodbye before she left for work.  As they came over an approach a truck ran the stop sign and struck Jon's bike.  He was thrown into a nearby field.  He was rushed to the hospital and could not be stabilized enough for air transport.  That day his mom was the one to say goodbye.

I remember some details about that day.  Like talking to my friend on the phone and giggling about how I had finally agreed to say yes to Jon asking me out.  You see the Sunday prior he passed a message to my friend Lena, asking if I would be his girlfriend.  And I was supposed to tell her the answer.  Lena and I had already talked on the phone once that afternoon.  So when I called her back the second time something sounded different in her voice.  Her voice was lost, disoriented.  Almost like the sounds coming from her mouth had somehow bypassed her heart.  I let her go and was preparing to head outside to go for a ride, when the phone rang again.  It was Lena and she was calling to tell me that there had been an accident.  That Jon had been hit by a truck and he was in the hospital.  So many things flash through your mind in an instant.  Like your brain fires all nerves at once and your thoughts rush your brain.  And your heart tries to break free from your chest, and your air escapes your lungs and your stomach drops first to the floor and then tries to exit via your mouth.  I remember thinking well Lena has this all wrong.  It was Jarl that was hit by the truck.  Not Jon.  He was the one.  Why can't Lena get it right.  Oh Lord please let Lena be wrong.  Our love story was just starting.  Who would drive me to the hospital to sit with him?  How bad could it be?  Oh please just let him live.

Some of the details following that are foggy now.  I am not sure if it because of the time that has passed.  Or the fact that I was trying so very hard for it not to be really happening.  Perhaps it is a combination.  I do recall that I got the news later that evening that he had slipped away.  To a better place they said.  I remember thinking that he didn't need to go anywhere better.  He was here with me.  And in an instant he was gone.  He would never know that I loved him.  That I was going to have answered yes.

As I am writing this, I cannot be certain that today marks the anniversary of his death.  It feels like it was.  I have never doubted it before today.  But as I sit here writing this I just cannot believe that his parents were able to hold his funeral just a few days later on July 29th.  This date will never be erased.  Because that date marked my thirteenth year.  But rather than the birthday party that Jon was supposed to be attending of mine, I was at his funeral.  This was not how the world was supposed to work.  Teen years are tough...you do not start them without your best friend.  I remember staring at his casket covered with roses and thinking...any minute now he is going to pop up and make a joke about it.  He was always a prankster.  But he didn't.  And when we processed past the casket I remember his Dad grabbing me so tightly and telling me that Jon loved me.  I am not certain whether it was his mom or his dad that pressed a card into my hand.  But that card had a picture of an eagle on it.  And the bible verse listed above.

As life goes on I look to the sky for an eagle.  When I see one it brings me comfort that his is there with me.  In his own little way.  Watching out for me.  Standing with me.  He may be gone from this world in a physical sense.  But his energy remains with us.

Jon, twenty years may have passed since I last held your hand or laughed at one of our many inside jokes but I have never forgotten the way your whole face smiled.  It is forever etched in my heart.  You may be gone - but never forgotten.

Much Love,
Lisa

3 comments:

  1. It's crazy the things that happen that we think we could never endure, but we do. I lost my best friend decades ago and he still enters my thoughts. He was also my grandfather, but best friend describes his place better.

    Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crying now and of course sending love and light to you and Jon's family. This was a very beautiful post, as usual, but it also made me think of a book that I just had to look something up in for you. The book is called Animal Speak and it is all about the Native American spiritual acceptance of animal medicine, or totems, which collects wisdom about the type of animal that appears to you and shows you life lessons you will embrace with them as a guide. The fact that you look for and see Eagles (thanks of course to Jon) sounds a lot like the Eagle could be a totem for you. The book has Multiple pages about eagles, so I'm just going to type the last paragraph out for you:

    To align oneself with eagle medicine is to take on the responsibility and the power of becoming so much more than you now appear to be. From a karmic aspect, it reflects that the events will now fly faster, and the repercussions for everything you think, do or say (or fail to think, do or say) -positive and negative- will be both stronger and quicker. To accept the eagle as a totem is to accept a powerful new dimension to life and a heightened responsibility for your spiritual growth. But only through doing so do you learn how to move between worlds, touch all life with healing and become the mediator and the bearer of new creative force within the world.

    Not that I didn't already know this to be true about you, but with an Eagle as a totem you are here to affect great change, Lisa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan and Kieta! Thank you so much for commenting on this post. I am sorry that it took me so long to respond. This was a very powerful post for me. And I kept tearing up each time I tried to respond.

    Susan - Thank you for sharing about your Grandfather. May the thoughts of him bring you comfort.

    Kieta - I am going to check this book out now so that I can read more about it! Thank you for adding to my must read list :)

    ReplyDelete