Wednesday 3 July 2013

Sometimes You Need To Adjust Your Point Of View

There are times in our life when we become rigid.  Where we refuse to see something from a different view point.  When we don't want to adjust our thoughts.  Or even our schedules.  If you ever feel the need to force an attitude adjustment upon yourself but you aren't sure how to do it...spend time with a three year old.  It always works for me.

On Canada Day, my Husband, Daughter and I joined our friends at the neighborhood festivities.  Delaney reminded me that things happen exactly as they should and when they should.  It is funny how a three year old runs their life based on exactly what they want to do when they want to do it.  They do not burden themselves with what someone else may think of them.  They just live.  They laugh.  They play.  They seek Joy.  And somewhere along the way as they grow older they start to adjust their mindset and behavior to fit the mold of society.  I personally think that we could all do with adjusting our mindset to be more like that of a three year old.

Stay with me, I am getting to the point.

You see, part of the festivities included cultural dancers.  We found a spot on the grass with a good view of the stage and watched the performances.  Delaney on the other hand danced right along with them on her little patch of grass.  She didn't care if others were watching.  She didn't care if she didn't know the steps.  She just let the music and the moment move her.  There were a few other people dancing and moving to the music but they were all under the age of 5.  As I surveyed the crowd I noticed that most adults who were watching were rigid.  There were some smiles but any time that an adult started to get swept away by the music they quickly glanced around to see if someone saw them.  Heaven forbid you get caught clapping along to celtic dancers and the bagpipes.

When we had enough sunshine and fun we decided to head home.  Just before we left the park Delaney's balloon met an unfortunate demise.  Her Dad decided that he would run back and grab a new one while I continued home with Delaney.  I am not certain if you have ever had the pleasure of walking any distance with a three year old.  If you have you will know that it doesn't matter how fast you want to go...you will have no choice but to go at their speed.

I was wanting Delaney to hustle because it was hot and I could tell that she would be cranky and I would soon have to carry her and her purple cowboy hat the six blocks home.  She did not seem to possess the same degree of urgency.  In fact the more I asked her to hustle the slower she walked.  Finally I decided that I would surrender the need to hurry.  I let her be the leader.  We walked taking teeny weeny steps.  We marched for a time.  Traveled an entire block hopping over each crack and the following block hoping on every crack.  Then we came to a block that was a luscious green space.  Delaney decided that we were to crawl like cats.  For a moment my 'adult' brain drew the line.  It objected to me crawling on the grass like a fool along side of a busy street.  What would people think?  How foolish would I look?  I gave my head a shake.  Who cares if people pointed and laughed?  I was sharing a fun and carefree moment with my Daughter.  So we crawled.  Laughing at how the grass tickled our hands and knees.  We examined the "beautiful flowers" aka dandelions.  We watched the ants that were on a mission.  We were present in that very moment.  Once we reached the path we had the sun at our back and our shadows traveled before us.  The laughter that erupted at our attempts at creating shadow puppets was precious.

Delaney will probably never remember this walk home.  But I do know that I will never forget it.  All too soon she will grow older.  She will begin to conform to expectations of society and I will be the one who will have to remind her that it is perfectly fine to march to the beat of her own drum.  But on this very day she was the teacher.  We take life too seriously at times.  We are rushed and hurrying to reach our destination.  We forget to take time to enjoy the journey.  I will be forever grateful that I took the time to be present and to travel like a three year old.  To see things from her point of view.

My wish for you is that you remember that life is a journey not a destination.  Do not spend so much time and energy on what others may think and say.  Focus on what brings you joy.  After all that is what makes the journey beautiful and worthwhile.

Much Love,

Lisa


7 comments:

  1. We must be surf buddies. We are often on the same wave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. The good news is that when you get to be ny age you do finally realize that life is far too short to care what others think. Loving and living life to the fullest every day is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful story, Lisa. Thanks for sharing it. We all need reminding to stop thinking about goals and achievements just long enough to simply BE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet you that this is exactly the kind of day that your daughter will remember as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As blessed as you are to have her, so is Delaney. :-) Reminds me very much of my nephew when he was 3 and we danced everywhere even in the theatres. Oh how time flies. Great story, thanks for sharing, Lisa! I'm glad you wrote about this, especially the part where you crawled like Cats with Delaney. In some ways, that was a great breakthrough for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to add (before I hit Publish)... a breakthrough that was worth celebrating by at least writing about it. :-)

      Delete