Thursday 4 July 2013

Look Before You Leap

This morning I was having a tough time deciding what it is that I should write about today.  Typically I have an idea the night before.  But last night...nothing.  And this morning...nothing.  And I was starting to wonder...hmm when is it going to hit me?  I have lots to do to today.  Not a lot of time to sit in front of the computer...I can't fail at this challenge.  It is only Day four for Heaven's Sake.  The spiral had started.  I was about to get sucked into the negative vacuum.  And it is too early in the day to get on the negative roller coaster.  My inside voice yelled "STOP".

Let's examine the facts.  It is not yet 9 am.  Just because I do not have a solid idea for a blog post does not mean that I will not come up with one.  So stop borrowing trouble.  Just because I have a busy day does not mean that I cannot find five minutes to even post a picture or a quote and my thoughts on that.  ANY post qualifies as a post.  There is no word minimum.  No standardized set of guidelines that must be followed to a tee in order for a blog post to count.  I was starting to feel a little better all ready.  WHEW.

Now where does the look before you leap title come from?  I spent the first thirty minutes of my morning jumping to the conclusion that I was going to find a way to screw this challenge up.  And when I wasn't focusing on that I was expecting someone I was emailing to react in a negative way.  In fact I nearly put my neck out jumping to that conclusion.  Imagine my surprise when the email was polite and pleasant and left me feeling loved.

This may not seem like profound growth to you but I know that I am making progress.  I am witnessing these events as they are playing out and intervening before the negative spiral gets out of control.  When I think negative thoughts about a topic or situation or myself these days I recognize that I am doing so after only a thought or four.  Rather than the thousand and four.  I will take that as a win.  And a win...no matter how small is still a WIN.

On that note, I am going to draw this post to a close. This post may not be pretty or profound...however, it is still a post.  I have learned something.  Maybe you have too.

When you find yourself jumping to conclusions:
How someone may react
How the day will turn out
How a post will turn out
Feel free to add to the list...

STOP!  Look before you leap.  Try to sort out some facts.  See if your ego is just running its own negative agenda.  Search for the bright side or the silver lining as my Grandmother would say.  Take five deep breaths and begin again.  Give yourself and others the benefit of the doubt.  They are doing the best that they can in that very moment.  You are too. React in kindness.  To yourself and others.

I wish you a day as Beautiful as you are.

Much Love,

Lisa

Lead Life Joyfully

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. I too think these very thoughts at times. Negative thoughts are very ingrained in our subconscious so focusing on the positive can be tough at times but I believe is the key to a happier life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - I love the idea of celebrating small victories!

    ReplyDelete