Tuesday 4 June 2013

Watch Your Language!!!!

When someone tells me to watch my language I know that they are referring to my use of the "f" word.  Not the common "f" word used by women either.  I certainly do not use the word "fine" and spit it out like passive aggressive venom.  Instead I tend to use the other "less ladylike" "f" word.  I can pepper any sentence with it - sometimes multiple times. And I never mean to offend anyone with it.  That doesn't mean people aren't offended by it.  And allow me to throw this disclaimer in here...I wasn't raised with this being an acceptable word (you are off the hook Mom).  What I do know that language is a very powerful thing.  Especially, the language we use when talking to ourselves.  Yes, you reading this, you talk to yourself - all the time actually.  That's normal.  It's the answering back that pushes the limits of normal.


Recently I was able to spend some time talking to some Ladies about the power of language.  One lady shared with me that she needed to shift her language.  She was feeling worn out from all the "have to's" in her life.
Have to do the dishes
Have to go to work
Have to pay the mortgage
Have to get groceries
Have to help a friend

How exhausting does that list seem to you?  I'm tired just reading it let alone doing it.

Now what happens if you shift your language like she did to...I choose to...
I choose to do the dishes
I choose to go to work
I choose to pay the mortgage
I choose to get groceries
I choose to help a friend

How does that feel?  Better.  I know it does.  Because you have a choice.  You can leave the dishes.  Fuck 'em.  They will still be there tomorrow.  And if they aren't - even better!  WIN!
There is a little more power in the "I choose" statement.

Now since I am all about pushing boundaries I asked her to stretch a little.  I asked her say....I get to...
I get to do the dishes (many people in the world have no dishes, no food, no running water)
I get to go to work (many people wish for a job)
I get to pay the mortgage (many wish to have a roof over their head let alone own one)
I get to get groceries (many people rely on food banks if they even get food at all)
I get to help a friend (how blessed we are to give of ourselves to help lift others up)

When I make this shift in my thinking it fires me up.  It empowers AND energizes me.  I feel the freedom of choice and I want to get it done....because I can.

I don't know if you felt the same shift as I did.  Try it, and let me know how it goes for you.  I can only hope it helps you as much as it does me,

I have said this before, and I will say it again...
The most important person you can listen to in a day is you.  What you say in your every day conversations with yourself sets you up for either success or failure.  Speak kind words to yourself and to all that surround you.

Let me know other ways that you can shift your language.  Share your success stories with me.

Until then...

Have a Day just as Beautiful as You Are.

Much Love,

Lisa

*Lead Life Joyfully*

No comments:

Post a Comment