Sunday 23 June 2013

Daddy's Little Girl

First World Problem Alert - Didn't get around to posting my Father's Day Blog because....well....I was too busy hanging out with all of the awesome Dads in my life.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

How many of you are Daddy's little girl?  Or are the Daddy to a little girl?

I grew up blessed.  I had a Dad that was a huge role model in my life.  He still is today.  I don't think that I can really write down every lesson my father has taught me up until this point.  But I do want to highlight some of the life changers.

You stand beside those you love.  Through anything.  There isn't a storm a family cannot weather when they stand together.  In junior high there was a situation that placed my family in the public spotlight.  It was a situation where it was my version of events vs. a principal.  Never once did I doubt that my parents were firmly by my side.  When I was going through this period of time I used to be consumed with the ostracizing and the bullying that happened.  Never once did I really think what my parents had to go through.  Since we weren't born in that community we were always the new people to a certain extent.  It wasn't until recently that I really considered how difficult it would have been for them.  All the stares, whispers and rumors.  I can just imagine how hard it would have been for my Dad to hear things being said about his little girl.

You are never to busy to help out a friend.  My Dad is always helping someone.  Whether it be moving cows, branding, hauling hay, treating animals, shoeing horses and the occasional donkey he is always helping someone out.  It is all too common these days that people do not want to help out another unless it benefits them.  I don't think those words are in my father's vocabulary.

Do what you love!  I never really realized that my Dad truly believed in this until July 7, 2012.  My Husband, Daughter and I had traveled to the farm so that I could participate in a ranch rodeo with my Dad.  He was short a team member and for some reason I had agreed to come along.  Never mind the fact I hadn't roped anything since 2007.  Forget the fact that I have only been riding maybe three times a year.  Do it anyway.  That morning I was a combination of nerves and excitement.  Until the telephone rang.  We had received news that one of my Dad's best friends had passed away.  This shook our entire household.  Grief flooded in.  Yet still we went to the Ranch rodeo.  Not out of disrespect.  There was nothing we could do for Jim and he would've went to the rodeo had he been there.  While we were warming up our horses I was riding in front of my Dad while he was talking with his friend.  I overheard my Dad talking about how he was incredibly blessed.  He gets to do what he loves each and every day of his life.  He felt sorry for all of those people who spend their lives sitting behind a desk not doing what it is that they truly loved.  If you only live once, why waste it?  Those words really resonated with me because shortly thereafter I quit my job and started doing what I really enjoyed.

Now these aren't the only lessons that my Dad has taught me and I am certain that there are many more for me to learn.  I do however, think that the world would be a brighter place if we all practiced these three consistently.

1.  Stand by those you love and what you believe in.
2.  Take time out to help out your friends and neighbors and expect nothing back in return.
3.  Do what you Love - Each and Every Day.

Thank you Dad for being You.  I believe Children choose their parents.  And I would choose you every time.

All my Love,

Daddy's Little Girl

Lisa










No comments:

Post a Comment