Tuesday 8 October 2013

Permission!

Today's blog is about permission.  I know that when I was a teenager I could not wait for the day to come that I no longer had to ask someone for permission.  Little did I know that I would find myself asking for permission long after my teens.  Unless thirtythirteen is in the teens somewhere and no one told me about it. 

When I was working for someone else....I would have to ask for permission to take time off, to start a new initiative, to have a long lunch and a hundred different reasons.  Unless of course I was living by the fact it is easier to beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission...and although that has its purpose....it is not the best action plan for every scenario. 

Every time I think of asking for permission I am reminded of my nephew.  I am going to say that my nephew was four years old.  And we were all sitting around and waiting to go to the family gathering.  My nephew really wanted to play in his little pool.  So he asked our aunt Kate if he could play in his pool.  Kate told him "Go ask your Mom."  So he toddled into the house to speak with his mom,  He came out and crawled into his pool.  Moments later...his mom came outside very upset to see him in the pool.  When my aunt asked him why he was in the pool he answered very matter of factly...."I did ask her.  You didn't say that she had to say yes."  Touche.  Well played.  It also reminds me to try and cover all of the bases and be crystal clear on my requests.

Back to the topic of permission.  Today I gave myself permission.  Permission to celebrate my success.  I lost 6 lbs and 9.25 inches in September.  I gave my permission to eat the donut my husband drove an hour and a half out of the way to get me.  I gave myself permission to swill wine and eat cheese and crackers and spicy Italian meats.  I lived on the edge Baby.  Oh Ya I Did!  I gave myself permission to rebel.  To acknowledge all that I went without in order to see such great results.  To give myself permission to start back to eating clean tomorrow. 

I have also noticed that in the last few days people are asking me for permission.  Permission for them to honor themselves and care from themselves.  Now when people ask me for permission I do not see myself as I person with a magic wand.  I simply try to mirror back to them what they are looking for but they just aren't quite ready to give it to themselves.

For example:  One client decided that she was going to quit smoking.  What a healthy choice!  So proud of her.  At the same time she also decided that she was going to clean up her eating.  I gave her permission to take on those changes one at a time.  First make some gains not smoking....then make small leaps regarding healthy eating. 

Another client was feeling overwhelmed.  She had so many things on the go that she was spinning in circles and just wanted to take a break.  I can totally relate. So I gave her permission to just stop, hit pause.  Take a time out. And when she was ready to return, create an action plan.  To work on what she absolutely had to work on. And permission to put some things on the back burner.

In both of these situations....they felt lighter.  And that is a win in my books.

So what about you?  What is it that you need permission to do?  I would love to hear it. 

I wish you a day as beautiful as you. 

Much Love,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment