Friday 11 October 2013

Are You Rocking a Ritual? Or Has Your Ritual Sunk Like A Swimming Rock?

Lately I have been feeling like I have gotten away from my morning rituals.  This didn't happen overnight.  Although it does seem like I had a ritual one morning and it was gone the next.

It is in the morning when I most feel connected to God, to my Higher Self, the Universal Energy.  I had a really good streak where I would start every morning grateful for all the blessings in my life.  Before I jumped out of bed I would spend a few minutes basking in the love and energy that fuels my life.  Once I was out of bed I would spend time reading positive affirmations.  Next I would write about those affirmations at www.750words.com  I would write about whatever thoughts came to mind surrounding those affirmations.  The 750 words exercise turned into a meditation where the words would flow more from my heart and soul than from my brain.  Then miraculously a blog post idea would appear.   Once my blog was posted and published I would move on to planning my day.  I would enter this space feeling calm, centered, balanced and optimistic about what the day could and would hold for me.

And then one day..I got busy.  Too busy to write 750 words.  So I skipped that step and stumbled straight into blogging.  And the next day (or maybe the day after that) I found that I was too busy to blog.  And then I was too busy to read affirmations and meditate on them.

And the next thing I knew...I was feeling scattered, disconnected, and unproductive.  My focus was bouncing from one idea to the next. I was looking for something to focus me and ground me. And....

 32 days ago I heard about a book.  Making Miracles by Melody Beattie.  And Mai Vu (my soon to be coach) invited me to join her group - 40/40 Miracles.  And I started doing a daily writing exercise.  30 days ago I started exchanging it daily with my partner.  This is something that I make a priority in my life.  Regardless if I am at home, what day of the week it is...it gets done.  No excuses.

Now I am noticing that I am ready to build my morning rituals around this exercise.  I count my blessings in the morning before that I get out of bed.  I work on my miracle exercise.  I comment on my partner's progress.  And twice this week I have signed into 750 words.  I have even posted eleven blog posts in the last eleven days.  I am ready to return to blogging in the am.  I feel better this way.

One day recently ( in the last 10 days I am sure) I was talking to my Blog BFF and she reminded me that spiritual practice is called practice for a reason.  It is something that we need to practice.  And when I think about that...it is exactly that.  It is always there for us to come back to.  We can grow and evolve and it is always there.  It changes when we need it to.  It grows along with us when we need it to.  It welcomes us back like an old friend with open, loving arms when we return to it.

So if you have stepped away from your spiritual practice.  Or your rituals. Or your routines. Or whatever you would like to call them...please do not judge yourself harshly.  Do not blame yourself or make excuses.  Just welcome yourself back to that space with big, open and loving arms.  You are right where you need to be.  Exactly as you are.

I wish you a day as beautiful as you!

Much Love,

Lisa


1 comment:

  1. And also create space for your rituals to change into something new. We don't have to do the same thing forever, just as long as it serves us. I won't always blog first thing in the morning, heck, maybe I won't always blog, but I will do my best to center myself each morning in a way that promotes peace and gratitude... that's my practice. :) Annnnd when I don't practice at all, well then, you're right, it's just there waiting for me to find its value again, just as if I'd never left. The practice doesn't judge me. It's cool like that.

    ReplyDelete