Friday 9 August 2013

Free to Be Me

I Used To Be Bound…But Now I Am Free To Be Me

There was a time in my life where I was bound by the thoughts and opinions of others.  I lived my life based on their gospel.  And then one day an awakening happened.  I realized, I didn’t necessarily agree with their views.  Their opinions felt as shallow as a grave dug in haste.  I vowed from that moment to run far and fast like a soul being chased. 

You see I am a believer that you can only live one life at a time.  And that life is meant to be lived with greatness.  You need to challenge all that you know and all that you believe and you need to see where you grow to be.

Pre- awakening I lived in a corporate world, crossing items off a never ending to do list.  I was trapped in a life of Banana Republic seasonal sale.  Each month I adjusted my persona, I fell into my role and I acted exactly as I “should”.  I was never the talk of the runway.  In fact I was probably the last season sales rack until….

I woke up.  And I took an inventory and realized…screw this…this is not me.  Ever since that moment I do what rings true.  I do what I love. What I am passionate about. I fight for what I believe in and those I love. I no longer ask…am I fitting in…I ask…am I standing out.  And if I am blending in and feeling comfortable I tell myself I need to readjust the sails. 

The act of falling in love with one self is not without hardship but it brings with it great reward.  It is really quite freeing actually.  You see you no longer care if you are meeting the expectations of others, your only focus becomes exceeding the expectations of yourself.  You don’t even have to focus on yourself as an individual.  You can start to ask the question…how can I serve others?  What can I do to brighten the day of someone else? How can I make an impact? This freedom is not offered when you are living the rules of someone else.

I fill my days counting my blessings and looking for ways to bring blessings to others.  I lend an ear to anyone who needs to share.  I give love to all that are around me and hope that I touch a life. I look for ways that I can grow myself and the opportunity to grow others.  This was never possible before when I was bound by the agenda of others.  Back then I feared judgment.  Someone may think I’m being soft, a bleeding heart, an enabler, weak.  Since I found freedom a day isn’t complete unless I am being compassionate, caring and supportive.  If I am not lifting someone up towards their dreams, the day was not used to its fullest. 

If you are bound…I urge you to take the steps to become free.  Answer the call of your soul.  Run with it.  Embrace it and watch the miracle happen.  Step to the edge, leap and realize that you will fly rather than fall….


I used to be bound but now I am free…free to be me…and I am AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment