Monday 27 May 2013

Football - Did It Anyway

Some of you may remember that I traveled to Panama in March with my Husband and Beautiful Friends - Niki and Andrew.  One day in the pool we decided to play ball to get a break from the heat.  My husband signed out a football of all things.  Now I will admit, I was totally annoyed that he got a football...how the hell was I supposed to play with that.  I hadn't laid hands on a football since I was eight.

I had a choice to make, I could pout and not play ball or I could try to throw a football.  As it turned out, I could throw the ball, and I had FUN.

When I got home, I immediately started looking for a women's team to join.  I started first with the tackle team and when they didn't jump at the chance to get me on their roster I found a touch team.  The Predators - a new team recruiting all shapes and sizes.  Now when I first committed to going to the team meeting it scared the hell out of me.  I mean, who the hell did I think I was...I am a lot of things, but I am not a football player.  Doubt and fear flooded my mind.

And do you know what I did....I went anyway.  I recruited a girlfriend and had her come with me but we went out and had fun.  Met a lot of great Ladies and signed up for the season.

The first practice was intimidating also.  But...I went anyway....and again...I had a blast.

Signed up for a mixer at the advice of my co-captain.  It was one of those fun tournaments to kick off the season.  You sign up, they put you on a team made up of guys and gals.  You play three games.  No one keeps score and you have fun!

The night before the tournament I was super excited.  My bag was packed with everything I could possibly need.  I was ready to meet great people, learn new things and have a blast.  That night, I went to bed early.  I wanted to be well rested and raring to go.

The morning of the tournament...different story.  I was terrified!  Fear flooded me.  I was thinking...there is absolutely no way that I can go.  I won't be any good.  The team is going to wish I stayed home. I don't know the rules.  I don't know anything about the game.  I am going to look stupid.  I let this thought go on for about 35 seconds.  Then I started to try and shift my thoughts.  I'm not scared...I'm excited.  I am a beginner, a person is never excellent in the beginning.  I couldn't walk or ride a bike the first time I tried.  Why would I think I should be Joe Montana?  Instead of being fearful I told myself I was curious.  I gave myself permission to just be a beginner.  To have fun.  To learn.  To experience something new.  And if I hated it I told myself I didn't need to pay my fees for the Predators.  So even though I was scared...I went anyway.

I can tell you this much...I loved every minute of it.  I met new people.  The guys on my team were fantastic.  They taught me a lot.  They supported and encouraged me.  I caught a few passes and even won a door prize.  Most importantly I pushed past the fear and I stretched and grew.  At the end of the day when the tournament was over I had this elated feeling.  I was proud of myself, I felt like I had accomplished something.  I basked in the joy of discovering a new love.

Now on Sunday we will play our first game...and the thought of it...seems a little scary right now.  But guess what....I'll do it anyway....

I wish you a Beautiful Day - One as Beautiful as You Are.  Spend it wisely, looking for ways to stretch and grow.  Dare to do something different.  You just may like it.

Much Love,

Lisa





No comments:

Post a Comment